k
Kosinski Architecture

 

In an odd interpretation of Vatican II directives, this seat of the Bishop of Orlando and 1951 downtown landmark had been gutted and shorn of any possible indication of Catholic association by renovations performed during the 1980s. Our mandate was to resuscitate the devastated sanctuary and establish the inspiration and decorum required at these sacred environs. To bring the celebrant closer to the congregation, the predella was extended into the nave. Seating was significantly increased by adding a transept. The Daily chapel was replaced with massing in mirror symmetry to the transept. A choir and instrumentalist mezzanine was added to house the choir and musicians. Finishes and systems, including lighting and HVAC were comprehensively replaced and upgraded. The original extensive precast trim and detailing, including the rose window at the church entrance were restored, replaced or added to so as to systemically reinstate and reinvigorate the approach to detailing employed originally. A new entrance plaza comprised of stairs, ramps, and terrace was created to ameliorate procession and to provide a transition between interior and exterior where gathering can occur.

St. James Cathedral

Restorations, Renovations, Additions

Orlando, FL

Back to Religious

P R O J E C T S

 

© Kosinski Architecture, Inc.